Haus Pithan

 · Introduction
 · The House
 · The History
   · The Family
   · other Pithans
 · Recent contacts
 · The Exhibition
 · Event dates
 · Hiring
 · Sponsoring club
 · Home club ...
 · Our guest book

back to [ German ]

The Pithan House project

Dreis-Tiefenbach is a village in the municipality Netphen in the administrative district Siegen-Wittgenstein (Northrine-Westphalia). The earliest document mentioning a settlement of the village was dated of the year 1239.
(Original settlements of the village: Dreisbach, Wernsbach & Tiefenbach [-bach = creek])

The cultural region is mainly characterised by farming & wood economy as well as by ore mining and the steel industry.

The History of the Pithan House  

  In the year 1715 Johann Jost Bruch built a house only 50 meters away from the hisoric "Hammer vor der Tiefenbach", which since more than a 100 years is known as "Haus Pithan".  
  At that time the owner was a worker of the "Tiefenbach Hammer". In the following generations most probably numerous hammer workers have lived in the house, which was owned by different families over time. So you may find around 1835 Johannes Patt listed as owner in the grounds registry, whose family sold the property several decades later to Heinrich Reuter. After he died fairly young, his wife Emilie (maiden name: Spies) married his brother Wilhelm Reuter.  
  From him the house went to the husband of his cousin Christine (maiden name: Kraus), Heinrich Pithan of Tiefenbach, who stemmed from one of the old families of steel- & hammerworkers, who are evidently living since the 16th century in Dreisbach and Tiefenbach.  
  Later it was taken over by the daughter Jenny with her husband Heinrich Wagener. The Pithan House stayed since then under the ownership of the Wagener family. Finally Gerhard Wagener sold it to the Heimatverein "Alte Burg" Dreis-Tiefenbach in July 2003 for renovation and installation of a home-historical center. He had taken it over after the death of his father Paul Wagener in the year 2000.  

  Over 400 years the historic "Dreisbacher Hammer" (Dreisbach Water Hammer) was run in the near of the Pithan House, in later decades also an ironworks spot ("Hütte"). Workers (being shareholders as well) of the Dreisbacher Hammer have lived in the Pithan House.

Excerpts from the book "Dreis-Tiefenbach" by Wilhelm Schäfer (1962):
The "Blaißhütte zu Dreyspe" or in short "Blaißhütte Dreyspe". 1536 it showed up in a sentence of the Siegen Mining Court as "Pithains Blashütte vor der Diffenbach" (= Pithan's ironwork spot before the lower creek).
1556 Johan Pithain was mentioned as owner of the "Bloaßhütte zu Dreyspe" at the review of the water tax of the ironworks spots.
He belonged to a widely spread family, whose members at that time were often referred to as workers/shareholders of ironworks spots, but also as Siegen mayors. (He is probably identical to the prosper "Johan Pithain vor der Diffenbach" from the Dreisbach' taxation list of 1566.)
The goods register of the municipality Netphen from the year 1643 mentions as owners: mayor Klunk, Hermann Daub and Hermann Pithan, all three were inhabitants of the town of Siegen.  
A report on the annual assembly of the ironworkers' association from the year 1718 lists 19 members from Tiefenbach. Their names were:
Matheiß and Johannes Pithain; Johannes and Henrich Bosch; Mannus Bosch; Johannes, Daniel and Johan Daniel Münker; Johannes and Johan Ebert Fuchs; Johan Panthöfer; Henrich Flender; Wwe. (= widow of) Johannes Schütte; Johannes Mertens; Johannes Jung, Jost Bruch; Mannus and Gerlach Burgmann as well as Johan Bender's Erben (= heirs).


postal address:

Heimatverein Alte Burg
 c/o Andreas Völkel
 Postfach 2102
 57241 Netphen